Operation Permaculture Farm
In the Beginning....
We started with some dusty, hard, rocky soil you couldn't get a pick into. Bit by bit, one wood chip pile at a time. The inputs kept coming. The vision kept coming. The vision of abundance. The permaculture way.
Yes, we put in many fruit trees our first year and more each year following as we could afford it. Plus we had some losses to gophers and frost. Gophers are a real problem! We got free wood chips from harassing the local tree cutting guys and delivered right to our place. Being really nice is the best way to get the job done and offer them coffee! We got our chickens and yard fenced in, to keep the birds out of the garden in summer. Oh, and deer fence too! That was an accomplishment and very much needed.More and more inputs.......leads to amazing fertility in the soil.
3 years only!
This is what 3 adults and 3 years can accomplish with a lot of hard work. Now mind you we all working at jobs too, so this was done little bit at a time after work or on the weekends. We are going on year 4 this summer and it will be even better. We got mostly all our produce from our garden and eggs from our chickens, so the only things we needed to buy at the store were toilet paper, dairy and meat & other odds n' ends. You can do it too!
This is the terraces from 2017. Perenial herb garden where you see lavender, and veggie production in foreground. Beans, cuts, potatoes.
Here you can see apple trees and peach in foreground. We mulched and scattered wild flower seed, flax, cone flower, Evening Primrose, scarlet trumpets. Native Saskatoon, Mullein, Oregon grape and a few Hawthorns came up on their own with the introduction of water and mulch. Notice the new log terrace on upper part planted with goji berries.
Above, a new sheet mulching bed. Cardboard with wood chips over then manure.
Another new bed behind the house. Sheet mulched with cardboard, wood chips, manure. Mint, Arctic willow, and Motherwort getting established. Soil slowly improving.
This is a new bed between the greenhouse and shed that we heavily manured so we could grow in it that year. The corn did pretty good.
A shot of the front terraces in production.
Another new bed starting. Raked off the gravel, and roughly made level walkways. Started sheet mulching, and this year adding wood chips. Thinking blueberries for this area.